Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Helping You to Get a Job

I have been a teacher for more years than I care to remember. Actually, it is probably close to 30 years. I have some advice for new teachers trying to get a job.

I landed my first teaching job by modeling good teaching. The job was for a first grade class, and there were 3 people being considered for the job. We each had to teach a lesson and were observed by the principal. I put 200% into my lesson, and conquered the job.

I landed my first teaching job because I possess these qualities: I am very resourceful. I know how to get materials that are needed, by going to local businesses and asking for donations. Principals love to know that they are not only getting an excellent teacher, but that they are getting someone who will contribute to the total school environment. They want to know that you are going to go above and beyond your job in the classroom.

Finding a teaching job can be hard, but here is some advice to make it easier...Don't just sell yourself as an instructor of curriculum. Show yourself as a team player, a person who will join committees to enhance the school environment. Show them what volunteering you have done in your community, and bring your outside experiences with you to the classroom. Maybe you ran a fundraiser for the Girl Scouts, or worked at a community center or your church group. Let them know that they are getting someone who will bring innovative ideas to your school, as well.

This post is part of the Teaching Jobs Portal: “How to land a Teacher Job”. What was your journey like to become a teacher? If you’d like to share your experience with other aspiring teachers please see this post for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment